Thursday, March 19, 2009

Exes and Ohs

When I was 15, I met JD. We were at an amusement-park (ish) and he was the first boy who'd ever asked for my phone number. I'd just gotten contacts (as opposed to the enormous glasses I'd sported since the age of 9) and my braces removed about 5 minutes earlier...

Long story short: He was my first kiss, my first love. It lasted slightly longer than 5 minutes (maybe 10?), and we broke up.

Years later, I would find him on MySpace... And he had this friend...

Another ex-girlfriend of his... One he'd kept in touch with all these years... Being the mad internet lurker I was (okay, maybe still am! LOL!), I realized she and I had a lot in common... JD played the go-between for awhile before she and I sent our own messages to each other... Turns out she and I would happen to be in the same town several states away for a function... We made no plans to meet.

And then fate intervened... In a place where we probably shouldn't have connected... There were more than 10,000 people there. But we happened to find each other...

That woman is my TrueFriend... TF for short. And she and I connected because we both happened to date the same boy a lifetime ago.

Also on MySpace... An acquaintance I knew vaguely in high school had a couple of glasses of wine one night and wrote to me... Turns out she'd been lurking for awhile, and thought I was cool. (Since when did "dork" become the new "cool"?)

We became instant Internet BFFs, and when she came to visit, it was like we'd always been friends... It was over dinner that we found out that we'd both dated the same boy in high school. It took me two days to get over the shock of that before I could blog about it... So much ClaRiTy in that evening... She'd been drawn to me because I had valuable information that would set her free of a guilt she'd been carrying for half of her life at that point...

And now, I can't imagine my world without her in it. Such a wonderful blessing in my life...

And last week, I got a text from her... Telling me that SB (the ex we had both dated) had friend-requested her on Facebook.

Um, WTF?

The last time SB and I spoke, I was told that he wasn't "allowed" to have anything to do with me. I was an ex-girlfriend. His wife knew my name and wasn't cool with my existence. (The reason why we were speaking on the phone was that I was out with a mutual friend who was going to take me to see him, and I said, "Shouldn't you warn him that you're bringing me over?" And when he heard it was me, we cancelled the plan to go over there, but he wanted to catch up over the phone...)

So, how come he's allowed to be friends with my BFF?

Oh, and then of course, I went and found him on Facebook, and found out that he's also friends with ANOTHER ex-girlfriend of his!

So, now I'm completely insulted and irritated to be left out...

And then the BFF said, "Well, I'm not a threat... He wasn't engaged to me..."

And with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach before I dissolved in nearly hysterical giggles, I remembered that I had, indeed, been engaged to the guy...

But I had forgotten that part...

How could I have forgotten that this guy asked me to marry him when I was 18? And I went off to college with a little chip of a diamond on my fourth finger on my left hand??

How could he have turned out to be so unimportant in the grand scheme of things that I had to be reminded that I had once said I'd marry him???

*awkward silence*

Nothing good would come from contacting him at this point... The only good thing about that relationship is that it would lead me to a cherished friendship many years later...

I'm luckier on the JD front... He's turned out to be a good friend as well... And I'll always be grateful to him for leading me to my TF... And I guess I can send some L&L to good ol' SB... Because he brought me a dear BFF...

So, yay for exes... Who bring me BFFs.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Catalyst For the win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being your TF!!! Hooray for JD for bringing us together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm the anonymous comment at the top. This is JD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my internet bff!! xo!!

    ReplyDelete