Monday, July 20, 2009

I've got a little SomeThing I need to get off my chest.

So, I still have the cancer.

I was all zen when I went to the dermatologist last week. I got up and did yoga that morning. Watched an episode of Friends. I was in a good place.

I got there, got checked in, and waited a few moments.

And then I was told that my insurance was terminated.

Um, what? No, it's not. I still have insurance through the end of August.

It was a snafu and got figured out, but it was a very stressful 40 minutes or so. There were snot bubbles, yes.

Ultimately, I had to reschedule my appointment for next month.

The good news is that now the top doc in the practice will be doing my surgery. And as much as I say I don't care about scarring, it's in a pretty visible place, so the idea of having a better doc is rather appealing. Plus, I got all the insurance stuff worked out so that it didn't affect my vacation.

Friends were all indignant on my behalf, but once I left, I dried my tears, took a deep breath, and moved on.

So different from who I was six months ago...

And then the kidlet and I headed for points north to visit some dear friends... Who we actually hadn't met until we arrived at their house with our suitcases.

And they spoiled us rotten for three days straight.

There was lots of sitting around relaxing... The kids played game after game of Monopoly, Sorry, and Apples to Apples. They introduced us to Ninja Warrior, which is this awesome Japanese game show. E kicked my ass with the Pilates and the Water Aerobics. D made these amazing meals that nearly made me cry with the deliciousness. There was wine every night and coffee every morning... And one wonderful evening with margaritas and shenanigans.

We came home with a suitcase full of hand-me-downs for the kidlet, a memory stick with photos (many of which will never be posted on the internet! LOL!), a box of peanut butter bonbons, Skype on my laptop, a brain full of inside jokes and memories, and a name for my cancer.

I knew I needed to embrace it since it will remain with me for several weeks more.

And after racking my brain for a day, it took D about 45 seconds to name it: SomeThing. Because now I have a little SomeThing to get off my chest.

Yes, this is my sense of humor. And we all share the same kind. And it was lovely.

And I came home with things to anticipate, which is good. Kept me from slipping into the doldrums on the drive home...

And everything I anticipated has turned out better than I'd even hoped so far...

Time with friends, unexpected pleasures, hilly miles and a summer concert.

Yes, even with this SomeThing, I am good. Focusing on all that is wonderful and beautiful in my world.

And there is a LOT.


  1. I don't generally buy into the "everything happens for a reason" theory, but, on occasion, it seems to fit. Prior to one of my surgeries (the 4th or 5th of the same type), I had an overwhelming feeling of dread, to the point that I went to my church for the sacrament of the sick and prepared a will. The morning of the surgery, I woke up with the flu. I met the anesthesiologist and the feeling of dread increased to an almost-physical buzzing. Ultimately, I was deferred to the following week. The sensation of dread was gone and when I got to the hospital, a different anesthesiologist had been assigned to the case. I hope that this delay will also result in the most positive outcome for you and that you'll wear your badge of honor, if any, with pride!

  2. Wow. I'm so glad that worked out for you!

    I also think the "reason" may have had something to do with certain other people who are on my insurance. One of whom had an appointment for the next day. And would have interrupted my vacation to let me deal with it. ;)

    So, even if the only reason is that I got to really relax and enjoy every minute? Totally worth it. :)

  3. I love the way you focus on all of the wonders and joy in your life!

    You are totally rocking out! Abundant and joyful L&L x 11 x 13 x 19 x 34....